Fraud Attempts Using False Caller ID
July 27, 2015
Over the past few months there have been numerous incidents nationwide where fraud perpetrators have used false (spoofed) caller ID information to impersonate government officials. In campus settings they have spoofed caller ID information to impersonate university departments, including the campus police. Emory University students have reported callers impersonating the police department with the caller ID displaying 404.727.6115, the Emory Police non-emergency number.
Here are some explanations of the fraud:
Better Business Bureau
Patient Privacy Rights
If you receive this type of call, do not provide the caller with any personal information and do not send any type of payment. Reports should be made to the local police department where you are when the call occurs with the following information:
- What name did the person use?
- Did they call you by name?
- What agency, department, or company did they claim to be with?
- What did they accuse you of?
- How much money did they want you to pay?
- What number shows up in your callerID?
- Did they give you any other numbers to call or websites to visit?